Beyond the spaceship travels, lightsaber duels and a constant struggle for power between good and evil, Star Wars is about Jedi wisdom that we earthlings can well heed. And as is with a new beginning, we are riding high on hopes, dreams and resolutions for 2016. Here are some of the finest treasure of words from the Star Wars to realize them this year.
1. "These are your first steps" (The Force Awakens). When Rey accidentally stumbles upon Luke Skywalker's lightsaber, she has a premonitory vision as soon as she touches it. The Force is strong with her, and she hears Obi-Wan Kenobi speak these words.
It is indeed the beginning of a new year and of the promises you have made to yourself, and these are your first steps. You will stumble, lose hope, fear the future and feel belittled by the times to come. But that is how the first steps always are. If you can hold on to your hopes and dreams, you will learn to walk steady through moments of weaknesses.
And if you have never been to a dentist before, or have been delaying scheduling your dental appointment, make your first steps this year. A dental check-up can detect and treat most dental problems at an early stage.
When you realize the limits of your strengths and abilities in your first steps, what will see you through?
2. "I can't believe it." "That is why you fail" (The Empire Strikes Back). Luke Skywalker's X-wing is stuck in a bog, and he does not believe that he is powerful enough to free the huge starfighter. To his amazement, Yoda uses the Force to effortlessly accomplish it and wittily retorts to Luke's disbelief.
You must be able to imagine yourself at the end of your journey. If you cannot truly believe inside that you can achieve what you have resolved to, the efforts will always be lacking and the vision will always be clouded.
Believe that you can be healthy, in body and in mind, and you will find ways for it to happen. If you can envision a healthy you, you will find you do not have to push yourself to brush and floss daily!
If you can believe today that you will fulfill your resolve, can you let go?
3. "Your focus determines your reality" (The Phantom Menace). Qui-Gon Jinn wants to train the little boy Anakin in Jedi arts, so that he may fulfill the prophecy and bring back balance to the Force. When he is not permitted to do so by the Council, which considers the boy dangerous, Qui-Gon asks Anakin to learn from him by observing him closely. The little boy indeed goes on to fulfill the prophecy later - even though not in any way close to how Qui-Gon would have imagined!
You have walked the beginning and learnt to believe in yourself. You must now learn to hold on to your belief, your thoughts and aspirations. The Dark Side beckons in mysterious ways, and if you lose your focus for one moment, you may wake up the next moment on the other side. Your focus should be intense and unwavering, however long it takes.
If you are looking for healthy gums and teeth, do not lose your focus after the initial few appointments. Dental treatments take time and sittings, and if you can patiently see them through, there lies a future of good health for you.
To keep your focus and belief in place, what weaknesses should you look out for?
4. "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." (The Phantom Menace). Yoda sees through young Anakin's mind when he denies being afraid in front of the Council. Untrained in Jedi arts and lacking the wisdom, Anakin sees no fault in fear that arises out of attachment to his mother. The Jedi masters, however, realize the importance of being mindful of one's feelings - both good and bad. His fear of losing his beloved indeed pulls Anakin to the Dark Side later on, and makes him suffer within.
To truly love someone, you must be able to let go of that person without fear of losing him or her. To truly win something in life, you must be able to free yourself of the fear of losing. Fear allows a negative thought to creep into your mind, and your mind becomes lost in fighting the fear instead of fighting to win.
If it is fear that overwhelms your mind when you think of a dentist, you are not alone. But in your company are those who suffer from tooth ache and dental diseases. It would be much wiser to subdue your fears and seek good dental health before suffering starts.
If you can believe in yourself, focus on your goal and detach yourself to give up fear, what are the chances you will win?
5. "Never tell me the odds" (The Empire Strikes Back). The Millennium Falcon is being pursued by enemy starships, it has developed a technical fault preventing them from jumping to lightspeed, and now they face an asteroid field in front, the mathematical probability of navigating which successfully is 1 in 3720. Han Solo fearlessly steers his shipmates through the asteroids and lands them to safety, or at least, he so believes!
However impossible it may seem, however far in time it may seem, if you truly want something you should pursue it with all your heart. With every step you take forward, the odds will improve on their own in your favor.
When it comes to your health, there are no guarantees. Make sure you follow the best health practices and seek the best treatments for healthy teeth and healthy body.
How hard should you try and how many times?
6. "Do. Or do not. There is no try" (The Empire Strikes Back). Yoda, reluctant to admit Luke as his student because of his impatient and reckless nature, is faced with his student's lack of enthusiasm in changing his beliefs. But Yoda, having trained Jedi for 800 years, shows him and makes him understand the power of the Force.
For a person who fully commits to his goal, who has given up the fear of losing, there are no half-hearted steps. They who believe they might win or lose - try, they who believe they might win today or tomorrow - do.
If you have made a new year resolution to be healthy, fully commit yourself to eating healthy and exercising regularly. Avoiding sweets and snacks will not only help you beat the calories, but keep you dentally fit too!
Now that you understand the secret to success, will everything fall in place for you?
7. "You can't stop change any more than you can stop the suns from setting" (The Phantom Menace). Little Anakin is happy to be freed from slavery and be going with a Jedi, but also does not want to leave his mother. Shmi Skywalker, who has taught her son to be compassionate and helpful, altruistically imparts another wisdom to him to help clear the doubts in his mind.
Things will never fall into place till the end. As soon as you adjust to the times now, they will change and present you with more challenges. You have to be willing to carry on with the same enthusiasm and belief that you showed at the start to taste success.
If your dentist established dental health for you, it does not absolve you of the responsibility of taking care of your gums and teeth. Dental disease can come again, and you must schedule annual dental checkups.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!